Be a pivotal part in one of Australia’s leading Off Road Racing teams
Position available for competent race car mechanic responsible for the preparation of one of Australia’s most competitive and advanced off road race vehicles
SMU Racing is looking for a part time race car mechanic to prepare the vehicle for 3-5 races per year
The vehicle is powered by a 3.5 twin turbo Ford Eco boost Direct Injection engine
With a top speed of 230kph plus and 20 plus inches of wheel travel, off road desert racing is one of the harshest forms of motorsport in the world, with vehicle preparation and finishing paramount to success.
Races are typically 500 Km’s over two days with the team a regular competing in Tatts Finke Desert Race in the NT.
The vehicle runs a five speed sequential Albin’s transmission with torque convertor and the car is electrically driven by a Life Racing ECU. The team has partners who build and tune the engine and service the transmission.
The team is owner funded and whilst serious, there is a social element to racing.
Characteristics we are looking for in the successful applicants will include:
- Ability to work autonomously and able to meet deadlines
- Meticulous in preparation and always looking for ‘what could go wrong’
- Can go away with the team to races and prep/maintain throughout race weekends including working under pressure during set time pit stops as part of a team
- Will have a strong knowledge in either fabrication, electrical, general automotive or all of the described
- Understand that race car preparation and vehicle safety are intrinsically linked
Whilst the role is a paid position, the successful applicant will not be looking for this as a form of income but rather wanting to be part of a team trying to win races and enjoy working with cutting edge technology and state of the art vehicle. Ideally the successful applicant will have little or no immediate family commitments and enjoy competitive motor racing.
The last race of 2019 will be September and first race 2020 will be March. Vehicle is currently based in Tullamarine, Victoria
Applicants should forward a CV or an email outlining their skill set and relevant experience to
Enquires can be made on 0414 850 770 to Matt Hanson
For more information see: